Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2" receiver tubes

I was thinking that maybe one day I would want to take a trip longer than the batteries could sustain. Perhaps a trailer with either a generator or more batteries could be the answer. How to attach the trailer....?
A 2" receiver tube (150mm long) and some 6mm steel plate cut to the shape of the rear cross member was welded on. Later I cut some more 6mm steel into triangles and welded them on as gussets.



Later, I realized that it was much more likely that I would need to tow the Discovery, rather than it towing something. As there were no good hard-points on the front, I welded a 450mm long 2" receiver tube, along with 50mm angle iron braces, to the front cross member.


It is fortunate that height was just right to protrude through the front plastic bumper cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment